Ordinary Portland cement (OPC) and Portland Pozzolana cement (PPC) are two of the cement types that are used for many construction purposes.
However, there are few basic differences between OPC and PPC Grade cement:
|OPC Grade Cement||PPC Grade cement|
|Full form:||Ordinary Portland Cement||Portland Pozzolana Cement|
|Grades:||33 Grade, 43 Grade, 53 Grade||None (Only PPC Grade)|
|Constituents:||Limestone, Gypsum, Clinkers, Silica||Pozzolanic materials (Volcanic ash, Fly ash), OPC, Gypsum|
|Used for:||General residential/ commercial construction works||Marine constructions, Buildings near seashores, Dams, Industrial structures, etc|
(Due to its high resistance towards sulphate attacks)
|Setting Time:||Fast setting|
(Achieves 43/53 Mpa by 28 days)
(Achieves 33 Mpa by 28 days)
|Concrete Strength:||Greater strength during the initial days of curing, due to faster setting time||Initially, the strength is not equivalent to OPC grade. However, it gains more strength than OPC with the passage of time.|
|Price:||OPC cement costs more than PPC||PPC cement costs less than OPC|
Hope our article, difference between Ordinary Portland cement (OPC) and Pozzolana Portland cement (PPC) as helped you in choosing the right cement type for your construction.
Also learn about:
- What are the physical and chemical properties of OPC 43 Grade cement?
- What are the physical and chemical properties of OPC 53 Grade cement?
- What are the physical and chemical properties of PPC Cement?
- Advantages of OPC cement? | Where to use OPC cement?
- Advantages of PPC cement? | Where to use PPC cement?
- What is the difference between cement and concrete? Which one should you use?